Monday, October 25, 2004

It's a grumpy day....

We used to sing this song in "Hi-tech", the middle school youth group I went to, called "It's a happy day" which also had a grumpy day verse. "It's a grumpy day, and I just can't stand the weather. It's a grumpy day, and I'm livin' it for myself. It's a grumpy day, things are gonna get worse, livin' each day with the bible on the shelf." Today was a grumpy day. (Some of you know of which song I speak and are probably beginning to sing it quietly to yourself.)
It all started around three o'clock this morning, which is always a bad sign, when your day starts out rotten and the rooster hasn't even crowed. K was already sleeping in my bed, L was crying in the nursery and D was sleeping as close to me as humanly possible without crawling back into the womb. I was greatly annoyed by the lack of space and the fact that the boys were on top of the covers that I grumpily jerked the covers from under them and pulled them up over us all. I was trying to let L "cry it out" and fall back to sleep on her own, but D was inching closer and closer and fiddling with my hair (he does this for comfort) that I just got up to comfort L so at least I wouldn't have to listent to that horrible sound she was making.

Fast forward to this morning. After a couple cups of tea, I was beginning to feel human again, and the boys were relating well for the moment. I even had L down for a nap, and it was time to do school with K. That was interrupted because I needed to make some photocopies for his math asessment at Oma and Grandpa's house next door. Oma read the boys the story "Lentil" by Robert McCloskey and then gave them an old harmonica to play with. They were thrilled. The problem was that they needed to share it. That worked for a little while, but the rest of the afternoon, they were constantly fighting about something. It seemed like every ten minutes I was breaking up some kind of ruccous. It wasn't until I was cooking dinner when they discovered that they can both play the harmonica at the same time. They put it between them, each one blowing from oppostite sides. It was so cute to see them cooperating like that, and being excited about it too. It almost erased all the tension of the day.... almost.

What did do the trick was hanging out with some of my Christian sisters at the Macaroni Grill for several hours, eating delicious food, drinking Chiante and catching up on each other's lives. So I can honestly say now, "It's a happy day, and I thank God for the weather..."