Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Super Nanny

I was a nanny for many years. This was at a time when the term "nanny" had to be explained on a regular basis, because here in the U.S., it was a fairly new phenomenon. Women were heading into the work force in droves, and still having children, so there was suddenly this great need for fresh young willing people (like myself) to care for these little ones while mommy and daddy took care of their careers. Now there is this new phenomenon of reality t.v. and Super Nanny is one that has caught my attention. As a former nanny, and now a mother I was curious to see what this bold Brit would say to these parents who desperately needed parenting guidance. Last night while surfing the drab network programs I was deeply convicted by the Super Nanny.

I greatly admire how this woman comes into these homes, observes, critiques, and suggests with such authority. I wish I had been so bold as a nanny in my day, but I can't go back, only forward, and this is where the conviction comes in... My Stuntman is a bold one, and sometimes he is downright disrespectful, and I had just been putting up with it. Partly I wasn't sure how I needed to address the issue, and partly because he is so darned cute that I would play it down and rationalize it. So after watching some bits of the Super Nanny in action, I realized I have a problem in my home which needs addressing, and I started today. It started first thing, mind you, but I was strong and determined, and I think I made some good progress. I haven't been consistent enough with my disciplining, which is one of the greatest challenges as a single parent, no back up. But also there was a method in which Super Nanny said it is important to come down to the child's level, lower you voice, so they know you mean business, and explain what they did wrong and what the consequence is for it. So, parts of this technique I was doing, but not consistently, and not effectively and not completely. I think the coming down to Stuntman's level and using a calmer, but serious tone works really well with him (that was a new element for me), so I will keep trying until he can manage his angry outbursts better without disrespecting me, hurting others, or trashing his surrounding area.

My Stuntman is a vivacious, loving, affectionate soul. He is tender hearted, creative and wild, he simply just needs to learn how to tame his wildness so that he can better relate to those around him. I hope to provide a means to this taming.